A: The frist word I found is インターネット, which is the loanword for internet in Japanese. Unlike some other technical or scientific terms which can be written in Kanji in Japanese, インターネット only has the katakana form. I think the reason for that is to clarify the foreign origin of this term and to formalize its reading in Japanese.
The next word I found is ピンポン, which is the onomatopoeia for the sound of doorbell in Japanese. I think the reason for writing it in Katakana is to differentiate it from hiragana and thus avoiding confusion when they are used together in the same sentence.
And the reason for both of the words not applying Kanji form I think is because the Kanji form of those words doesn't convey meanings as conspicuous or understandable as other terms may do when be transcribed, so adding those void kanji for those terms would be of no difference with setting hindrance for communication.
2. Also, think why there are such effects/purposes.
A: First, As we all know that lots of kanji in Japanese have different readings, therefore if kanji is used instead of katakana in those cases, people should know their readings first; otherwise, if people are not sure about their readings or misrepresent them with other readings, confusion will be created and limitation of using those terms can be caused. Also, the kanji for those two words in Chinese are meaningless, or in other words they are merely onomatopoeia; hence, introducing those additional kanji to Japanese people is equivalent to set unnecessary burden on communication and study to them.
Second, as we know hiragana alone is usually used as parts of speech that other than nouns or adjectives. That is because putting together clusters of hiragana can be so confusing and so hard to read. So people used katakana or kanji to distinguish some words from hiragana. And when, by using kanji, the meanings of some words are not easy to grasp, or their readings are not obvious to tell to people, katakana will be used instead of kanji to ease communication and understanding and avoid redundancy of applying meaningless kanji.
Third, as a tool to express loanword, katakana can appear exotic when they are used especially instead of kanji; that's why lots of Japanese company write their names in katakana. Moreover, if you go to Japan, you may find lots of food names and product names are written in katakana instead of kanji or hiragana, that's because katakana can make them appear more exotic and attractive to customers and thus stimulating their consumption on these food or products.
Forth, also as a tool to express loanword particularly foreign concepts, katakana has more academic impression on people. Hence, using katakana sometimes can make a person appear more knowledgeable and educated, and make a term appear more academic. And that's another reason for katakana's popularity and wide using in modern Japan.
3. Think about why each textbook is different in explaining katakana, and why the textbooks explained katakana in the manners that they did.
A: I think the using of katakana has been quite diverse and complicated. It seems to follow certain rules, however in many cases it also can be an individual thing. Therefore on text books, we can see though the general directions of explaining the usage of katakana are universal, there are always variations among them. Because the using of katakana is really flexible and it is getting more and more popular in modern Japan. As a result, the enhancement of variations of using katakana is inevitable and its application will be far less possible to be enclosed within certain rules.
陣さんへ
回复删除Actually, "インターネット" cannot be explained in simple Japanese. PC devices like "マウス," and what we can do through the Internet like"ブログ" are easy to be katakana word.
I'm wondering where you found the word "ピンポン." In the comics or animes? "ピンポン" is already used as a noun,like "ピンポンが鳴った(the doorbell rang.)." Do you know any other onomatopoeias? if so, which ones became a noun?
このカタカナ分析(ぶんせき=analysis)はおもしろいです。You made a good point that it is easier to read Japanese when カタカナ is used so that all the ひらがな doesn't run together. Another reason I think 日本じん use カタカナ and onomatopoeia is for the cute factor. Many brand names use the sounds to be catchy and as a marketing tactic.
回复删除You have some very interesting points. It's definitely interesting that many companies write their names in katakana. Perhaps if the company was named after a person or a real Japanese word, it would help avoid confusion with people of the same name or the ordinary word? Also, how do you think the use of a word would be limited if the kanji were misread?
回复删除とてもおもしろいですね。I think it’s difficult to say ‘internet’ in Japanese and we call those things like its original pronunciation. And such words usually don’t have kanji. The reason is I think not confusion it causes but カタカナ’s simplicity to express those pronunciation.
回复删除それから、I totally agree with your analysis that katakana usage is quite diverse and complicated. I’d like you to collect more カタカナexamples which don’t fit the explains in textbooks. がんばってください!
@ruokashiさん:
回复删除I found ピンポン via internet, however I didn't know that it has become a noun, thank you for teaching me that. And I do know some other onomatopoeias, but I'm not sure if some of them can be nouns or not. I'll do a research on that. Thank you again for letting me know this!
@マイケル さん:
回复删除Yes, I do think the using of a word can be limited if its kanji was misread. Since the misreading during oral communication among people can engender confusion. However, that's just my idea, I don't know it for sure.
@有美さん:
回复删除ありがとうごぞいます。
@ みちえさん:
回复删除Thank you for your comments and thank you for teaching me. ^ ^